At the Fluency Center, students work with a partner to practice reading quickly, smoothly, and accurately. The Fluency Center Kit from the Benchmark Education Company is the best way I have found for students to independently develop their reading fluency.
- CD player
- Fluency center cards from Benchmark Education Company.
This kit has 32 cards with leveled reading passages. Students
- Choose a card at their appropriate level.
- Listen to the CD and follow along.
- Play the CD again. Read aloud quietly with the CD. Repeat if they need more practice.
- Read the card aloud quietly several times without the CD.
- Answer the questions on the back of the card. Make sure you understand what you read.
- Have a buddy time their reading.
- If they met their goal, they pick a new card for that level.
If they don't meet the goal, they read the same card again.