At this center, a pair of students sit together and read the same text. They write the title, author, and page numbers in their Notebooks.
Partners sit close together, or knee to knee, and read in a whisper voice. Partners should decide if they want to read together, take turns, or read silently.
As they are reading, the partners roll the Reading Comprehension Cubes, and answer the questions before (red), during (blue), and after (green) reading.
If the text has questions at the end of the story, the partners can read and discuss those questions.
Two copies of several texts
Once I started looking for texts, I was surprised at what I already had that has multiple copies:
- A story from the reading basal textbook
- A chapter or selection from their Book Club (Literature Circle) book
- A leveled book from the basal reading series
- A Power Builder from Marie Carbo's National Reading Styles Institute
- A leveled reader that came with the science textbook
- Books from the school library or classroom library